Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Beginning

Cue dramatic intro: Contracts in hand, visas procured, and airfare purchased. On August 17th, we (Trevor and Hannah) fly from Omaha to Chicago to Seoul. We'll be spending the next year in South Korea teaching English in a public school.

In some ways, we are not ready for this: We don't speak Korean, we've never been to Korea, we haven't really packed, and Hannah hates seafood. In other ways, we are remarkably prepared: We have a less-than-3-ounces bottle of Maker's Mark whiskey for the flight and Trevor has his Nebraska baseball cap to wear when first setting foot on Asian ground. We believe we have struck a respectable balance in the preparedness department.

We will spending the first 8 days after arrival in Seoul for orientation and training. We will then move to Gangwon province, which we will be calling home:


No, we don't yet know what city we are living in. Or what grade levels we are teaching. Or if we will be at the same school or different schools. Or what our apartment will be like. Adventure, right? Adventure is out there, people! (Although Hannah's quickly-developing stomach ulcer is hoping that these questions get answered asap.)

This blog will hopefully serve as our means to share with people back at home samplings of our adventures and glimpses of our life in Korea. This post was generously written in the first-person plural, but Trevor suspects that Hannah will eventually usurp all blogging privileges and rights. I'll see how... I mean, we'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck you guys!! I'll be sure to make my way up to Seoul to welcome you when you arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to hoping you end up in Sokcho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to hear what happens! The whole random placement thing is why I ended up not going to Korea yet. I can handle not knowing what city I'll be in, but I don't want to be stuck with the little kids when I'd rather have older kids. So now I'm going to a University in China! But I hope I can visit Korea soon! And Good luck!

    ReplyDelete