Friday, October 25, 2013

This post is like a Korean meal

....multitudinous side dish samplings. So, here are some photo-documented samplings of the past couple weeks. Don't ask me what the main dish of this post is, because I have no idea. Oh, I often say "I have no idea" about the main dish of Korean meals too. Another similarity.

1. This past week at school was English Center Week, in which students from surrounding rural elementary schools come to Josan (our main school), for special, non-textbook lessons. Theme: Halloween. Obviously. Results as follows:






2. We made kimbap. Kimbap is basically any food you want (though not coffee-flavored ice cream, much to Trevor's dismay) rolled up in seaweed and rice. 

Eun ji made sure it was done right.

 Top to bottom: A vegetable for which I don't know the English name, cabbage, ham, and crab. We also used egg, bulgogi (marinated beef), kimchi (fermented cabbage), and cheese. Not all together, but in various combinations. 

That's seaweed on the right, on a handy seaweed rolling mat (it's bamboo, Michelle!). First we spread rice on the seaweed, then added various combinations of the prepared food. My combinations were notably light on the crab and heavy on the cheese.

All rolled up

Ready to eat

Trevor getting his kimbap on

We were overly eager noobs, and now have enough kimbap in our fridge to last a week. But it's delicious, so I'm not complaining. 


3. This past week was full of beautiful sights:

This beach is right behind Josan. We walk here during lunch break sometimes.

Seoraksan in autumn. You're welcome for the gratuitous instagram, Michelle.

This is not only a stunning view, but a view from a lane lined with cherry blossoms. I can't wait til spring!

This is the roof our apartment building, 13 stories high.


I was inordinately excited to have finally found the route to the roof.

I'll be coming up here with some frequency.




It occurred to me that I've not posted a picture of Yangyang yet. So, here it is.

Welcome to Yangyang, where the trees are creepy.

Because everyone at home should know that this is what will greet you if ever you visit Yangyang.

We live in a beautiful place.



P.S. I became best friends with a puppy.




2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I am stunned by how beautiful the nature is there. My goodness! Your halloween looked like so much fun too! Oh my, very creative teacher you are. I keep getting inspired by your willingness do do creative things like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP* I didn't comment on this! It was posted at a slightly crazy time... I have three things to say. 1. You, Hannah Saylor, aka Hannah "I-hate-seafood-more-than-anyone-ever-and-make-fun-of-Michelle-every-time-she-eats-it" Saylor, made something with crab in it?? 2. Where you live is so incredibly beautiful. 3. Bring that dog home with you. Then give it to me. Ok, cool.

    ReplyDelete