Sunday, June 15, 2014

Bungee jumping: A study in (my hatred of) gravity

A few weeks ago, I formulated the brilliant plan to go bungee jumping.

Yesterday, we set out for the town of Inje with a couple friends to bring this plan to fruition.

At the top of the 65-meter platform, I began to hate my former self. First of all, the sign lied. It was 6500000000 meters high in actuality. Second of all, I peered down to find not water, as I had anticipated, but JAGGED BOULDERS.

But somehow, I jumped.

The word "jumped" may mislead one to believe I simply leaped without hesitation. My jump was a bit more like this:

Bungee jump employee guy: "Ok, go."
Me: "Out there?"
BJEG: "Yes."
Me: "NO."
BJEG: "Ok, ready? 3.... 2......"
Me: "NOPE. NO."
BJEG: "Ok, now ready? 3.... 2..... 1......"
Me: "NO NO NO NO NO"

Then after the last "no," (or perhaps while saying "no"), I somehow found myself stepping off the edge, plummeting at full speed towards the earth, screaming my lungs out, and flailing my limbs in such a manner as to destroy any previous association of "bungee jumping" with "hardcore." 

Oh, and P.S. If you ever go bungee jumping, please note: After you bounce back up, you free fall AGAIN. And also again, and again, and again. I was an English major, so these kinds of scientific principles do not exist in my brain until I fully experience them with my body. I also came to understand gravity better after this experience. Such as the fact that it sucks you in a downward fashion with rapidity. 

My jump

Trevor's jump

After the jump, I became a bit pensive. Perhaps because I had believed I would die (ha!...but really), and a "near-death" experience often provokes contemplative thoughts, yes? 

One year ago, I would not have bungee jumped. To willingly free fall the length of a 20-story building was never quite my cup of tea. 

A large part of this, I believe, is that I've always been a bit of a control freak (don't laugh, siblings). In school, I studied like a maniac so I could feel in control of my classes and my grades. I didn't like any spontaneity because that meant I could not visualize a situation ahead of time. The unknown instilled more fear in me than anything, even bungee jumping. 

Do you know what is the opposite of control-freaking? Trusting. Moving to Korea, not knowing where you will live or what life will be like. Moving back to America, again not quite knowing what life will be like. Leaping off a 6500000000000000-meter platform and free falling all 650000000000000 meters. I have held zero control over any of these things. 

This is what my time in Korea has taught me. To choose trusting over control-freaking. I still try to control too much. But I DID bungee jump yesterday. And I call that progress.

And if I can trust a little bungee cord, I'm pretty sure I can trust my Savior.



No comments:

Post a Comment